Wednesday, May 03, 2006

TRANS CANADA TRAIL

We are fortunate to live within a block of the Trans Canada Trail. Whenever we get on our bikes we automatically head towards the trail. Now that my daughters are older we venture further and further down the trail. Although there is no traffic to worry about, in the back of my mind, I am always thinking about bears.

There have been several sightings of bears on the trail in this area in the past few years. My sister carries a bear bell with her after her husband had an encounter with a black bear while walking his dog near their home. A great story but very frightening experience. I often wonder how I would react if I came upon one. Let's hope I never have to find out. I know from his experience how I am supposed to react but when faced with a bear who knows what one would do. Maybe I should get me one of those there bear bells.

2 comments:

BeachMama said...

I would never want to run into a bear and hadn't really thought I ever would. But, now that you mention some on the trail, you have me thinking. Whistles to carry with me.

twinmomplusone said...

We have certificates somewhere in teh house about donations we made to help build the trail years back, but I've never been on it :(

As for bears, I very clearly remember one summer when I was 10 or so somewhere in Northen Quebec I was picking wild blueberries in a wooded area when I looked up and saw two bear cubs!! Oh no, mom must be somewhere around here! I backed up as quietly as I could and then made a major run out of there.